So you’re moving home… here’s how to pack!
Robinsons removals don’t mind getting down and dirty; we’ll happily pack all your stuff for you and haul it to wherever you need. Yet many people prefer to pack their own belongings and in the process, sort out what’s coming to the new abode and what can be discarded.
Here are some friendly tips to help you pack:
– Make a priority packing list
– Take some time to sift through your belongings and have a clear-out. You can make up a box for charity and if you’ve time, hold a car boot sale or log onto an online auction, then put the proceeds of your sold goods towards some re-decorating or a new carpet.
– Calculate how many boxes you will need and get these well in advance. Find boxes in a variety of sizes. Think about what else will be useful, such as strong tape, bubble wrap, and self-seal bags for keeping nuts and bolts together. Save old newspapers for lining boxes.
– Don’t completely fill large boxes, as they will be too heavy to move.
– Use sturdy packing boxes, particularly for heavier items, or your belongings may end up strewn all over the pavement. Boxes made from corrugated cardboard are stronger than regular ones. You can usually find these at supermarkets, off-licences or large retail stores, but make sure that they are clean.
– Check that your contents insurance will cover damage and breakages during the move.
– Put all hazardous materials, such as paint, bleach and aerosols, into a separate box and keep them away from the rest of your stuff.